Monday 4 March 2013

COMIC BOOK FILM SERIES: FANTASTIC FOUR RISE OF THE SILVER SURFER


I DO like this...but not as much as I should!

I think both the Fantastic Four films were done an injustice at the box office and yes they BOTH could have been better but and this is key here...

...I was not a fan of the comics at all! Never really read them much except sometimes when my brother had finished with them as he loved the FF. But what I remember them fondly for is actually the introduction of one of my favourite comic book heroes the Silver Surfer!

I cannot tell you what my face must have looked like or the feelings I had when I saw that first clip of the Surfer screaming down the side f a building pulling glass out as he went with the Human Torch in hot, groan SORRY, pursuit!!

Searched everywhere for that defibrillator that evening in a mad dash I can tell you that for nothing!

Not enough of the Surfer though. Hated his board but at least he did not look like someone the Beach Boys would sing about!

But the three crimes which were pretty big in my book and ruined it for the most part was..in reverse order of unforgivable liberties

3) The Galactus Cloud

2) LIQUID BOARD

1) The Surfers Board being his power?!

Now maybe it changed in the comics but actually the Silver Surfers board is actually made of cosmic energy and was the very thing used by Galactus to exile him to Earth after turning on Galactus.

The Silver Surfer spent years trying to figure oyt how to escape the confines of Earth to return to Shenn La with no success and even genius Reed Richards was unable to help. It took a remark from The Thing, or Ben Grimm, which he then immediately regretted that led Reed and The Silver Surfer to realise it was the board. The Surfer turned the board back into its base cosmic energy and then was able to escape!

To artists of the Surfer over the years the surfers board is just a board to stand on and not something Americans go riding waves with, with little fin added and pointy front end?! He is an alien from an alien world and himself a geeky scientist like Reed. I bought all the comics and indeed he had several series over the years but I absolutely hated it when he looked like an American or Australian from Bondi Beach riding a board with a little fin. The symmetrical board rounded at both ends with three lines down its middle is the classic board design. Space is a vacuum and FINS have no effect!!LOL!

When I heard there was talk of a Silver Surfer movie well I lost count of the number of times I scoured the Internet for details and gave up on this film appearing after three years. I also hated it when I read that Vin Diesel had begged to be the Surfer but I HATE that with a passion. He was far too stocky I am afraid and Doug Jones would have been great as he was. But with his own voice I think would have been better too.

The film could have also been one hell of a space opera too and there were some great characters that could have appeared, like Mantis for one. The Eternals and a whole long list of beings that would have mane one hell of a movie?! Of course you still had the possibility of a PROPER Galactus! Made me laugh tha they said they could not recreate him! Yes well after being fed T-Rex by the dozen, Godzilla and a managerie of other things a giant man (Honey, I Blew Up the Kid) in a Forked Helmet and Deep Purple and Blue suite must have been just too much of a challenge?!

The Avengers took for more money than even i thought it would and I KNEW it would be popular but if nothing else the creation and existence of this movie DOES show the movie companies the benefits of sticking to LONG SINCE established formula of around four decades and how movie goers respond when you do things PROPERLY!

Hmm maybe they have woken up now and maybe in a few months I should search for details of a Silver Surfer movie again?! After all I did read of a Fantastic Four REBOOT?!

Maybe call it Re-rise of the Silver Surfer?!

No comments:

Post a Comment